Deciphering Dreams: Is It a Warning, or Intuitive Guidance?

I knew I was going to lose my father four months before it happened.

I didn’t want to accept it, even though this dream had a very different quality to it than any of my other dreams. Besides, I thought, he was such a healthy 82-year-old. Still climbing ladders to cut down tree limbs and doing all the yard work a younger man in his 40s or 50s would hire someone else to do. How could this be? I tried rationalizing to minimize its meaning, but I knew in my gut that it was warning me of this life-changing event.

All the wonderful moments of my life with my father played out in front of my eyes.

This dream was very different. I was aware that I was dreaming. And, I was seeing it as if I were at a movie theater watching scenes of our life together appear up on the big screen.

I saw myself sitting on my Dad’s lap at 5 years old, then in the water at Jones beach and he was showing me how to dive under with my eyes open; then teaching me to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk outside our apartment building in New York; ice skating with my father in our back yard on the rink he’d built us after moving out of the city; working with my father to put up our above-ground pool….

The movie continued on like this all the way to the present with his helping me move into my current home. During the entire dream I felt the strength of the bond I had with my father, along with this incredible love for him that I can only describe as “celestial.”

I was being prepared for this terrible event.

I was shown the true essence of our relationship – the bond of love we formed which would last forever. The dream was really haunting and I couldn’t get it out of my head.

A little over a month later my father came down with a mysterious ailment that was later diagnosed as Lupus. He was gone three months later. Of course, even though I’d had this dream I was not prepared for the depths of despair I would feel at his loss. Six months later, it’s still very hard to believe he’s gone.

I had another dream that I wrote about in January titled:

“Serenaded by Oprah”

Oprah came into a little gift shop I owned and sang the Mockingbird Song to the only other customer in the store. I wanted to get as close to Oprah as possible while she sang, but I felt as if I might be intruding on a private moment, so I backed up and missed out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. The store was empty, but once she started singing the store filled up to the point where I could barely see her through the crowd.

I understood that the dream was addressing my insecurities.

I was afraid of revealing so much of myself in a blog, and as to whether I could attract readers and truly offer them anything of value. My intuition was guiding me to open up and just start singing/writing, and the writing would attract a crowd/readership. My store would be filled with customers interested in the gifts on my shelves. The Mockingbird Song was a message not to worry – I would always be supported and guided by my intuition. Backing away from Oprah was telling me to get over my shyness of speaking up and going after what I wanted.

These two dreams were distinctly different, but equally important in my growth and in the information they conveyed to me.

Here’s how to tell the difference between a precognitive dream and an intuitive dream:

1. A precognitive dream feels very real. Many times you’ll even be aware that you’re having a dream. Awareness in the dream of having a dream is called Lucid dreaming.

2. You can’t forget the dream. It’s haunting, or highly charged with emotion, and holds your attention for days or weeks afterward.

3. With a precognitive dream you’ll just know that it’s going to be so. No matter what you say to yourself to rationalize it – you know it’s true. You can’t shake the feeling of knowing.

4. Intuitive dreams have an A-ha quality. It’s more of a Eureka! moment. You see the error of your ways, or get an answer to a question, or situation or problem you’ve been grappling with in your life.

5. You’re not aware that your dreaming. It feels like a regular dream – but with a clearly discernible message.

Is it the same for you? Have you had these two different types of dreams? Do you have another way of decoding whether it’s an intuitive dream or precognitive dream?

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Deciphering Dreams: Is It a Warning, or Intuitive Guidance?”

1. Angela, I had the most amazing dream night before last. Everything in the dream indicated amazing abundance and I woke up wowed by it. I keep thinking about that dream a day later and this morning when I had a moment of discouragement, I told myself, remember the dream. So I think it is my new metaphoric touchstone, a lovely gift. This was a really helpful post, thank you.

Charlotte that does sound like an amazing dream. If it affected you that deeply I’m sure its purpose was to really grab your attention with this message. You’re right to hold onto the amazement and anticipate the abundance that’s coming.

3. Baker says:

Hello Angela,
    I have dreams where they are very vivid and clear and they go in chronological order, I take these dreams as a sign to look into those parts of my life to look into my physical reality more closely. Excellent description of this process and knowing the differences between certain dreams.

4. Nikki says:

Nouna, I had a dream last night that you and Yiayia were cooking and served Evan and I a heaping bowl of giant eyeballs in lemon dill sauce!There was more to the dream than that, but the image of the eyeballs has been haunting me all day! I will have to tell you more about it, I just thought it was interesting that you blogged about dreams right after I had such a vivid one.

5. @Baker
    Hi Baker, I’m glad you found the post informative. I’m curious about your own fascinating dreams though. When you say they go in chronological order – is an episode that continues each night? I’d love to know more… Either way I’m happy that you’re able to take such meaning from your dreams. I’ll consider you to be a fellow serious dreamer!

6. @Nikki
    Hi Nikki, Wow! What a bizarre dream. Giant eyeballs! Maybe you feel you’re being watched? Before you go to sleep tell yourself to have another dream that will clearly explain the dream about the eyeballs. I’ll be interested to hear more about this dream though.

7. Baker says:

I would say that the chronological order in my dreams has a very distinct manner. There is a begining, middle, and and end that is almost oddly enough very linear in nature. These chronological and vivid dreams don’t occur after each and every night, but I would say 3 times a week or so.

On another note: I also can do lucid dreaming wherein I can control the events that happen during my dream, these are more interesting to me actually, literally creating my reality as I think stuff up in that dream world. :)

Baker

8. @Baker
    Baker, thank you for clarifying this for me. So, your dreams appear to be structured like a story. You’re probably very good at solving problems in your life and analyzing situations too. You’re mind works like an engineer’s; logically, linearly and deductively.

That’s amazing that you have such control in your dreams. I have not mastered lucid dreaming, although I have tried on and off over the years. It has happened spontaneously for me only a very few times.

What about OBEs? Have you done any of that?
    Angela

9. Baker says:

Hello Angela,
    It is interesting you mentioned OBEs. Yes I just had one this morning. It is very natural for me to have one. I usually have OBEs nowadays though when, I’m feeling like drained in the physical world and just want to leave for a short while. How about yourself, have you remembered your OBEs?

Baker, now we’re talking about one of my favorite subjects! You seem to have OBEs very frequently – me not so much, but I have had them. The few I remember have been so unbelievable that I’ll never forget them. I wrote about one I recently had in a post titled: The Tunnel. I keep trying though. Each night I tell myself that I’m going to have one and remember it.

11. Baker says:

I would suggest placing both hands on your chest while attempting to do an OBE. This seems to work for me most of the time.

Baker, thank you! It’s funny but I actually do that. I don’t why, or if I might have read it somewhere. Have you read any of Robert Monroe’s books? I tried again last night but fell asleep. I will try again tonight and let you know how I make out.

13. Baker says:

Angela,
    The only book that I read on astral travel was: Adventures Beyond the Body: How to Experience Out-of-Body Travel. This is where I learned how to do astral travel, and for whatever reason it wasn’t that difficult for me to do this. I would say that going into this, you can’t really have any doubts or fears, you have to really be in a surrendered state that the “mind” probably doesn’t like very much… Good luck and see you in the clouds sometime!

Hi Baker, I think I’ve seen that on Amazon, but I’ve not read it. Thank you so much for the advice on astral travel. When I had my first OBE I got scared when I realized what was happening and zoomed back to my body instantaneously. I do wake up many times in the night with that strange shaking vibration going through my body. I think I’ve probably been out traveling and then the call of mother nature brought me back to my body quite suddenly. Anyway, I keep trying. Yes, hope to meet in the clouds sometime!

15. Lauren says:

Dear Angela,

My heart is with you in the loss of your Dad. I still miss my Dad. There is nothing like a Dad.

I loved hearing of your memories that you and your Dad shared. Yet, we always want more memories, don’t we?

Hugs to you,
    Lauren

Hi Lauren,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this other post. It was emotional one for me to write. Yes, we do always want more memories. I’m sorry about the loss of your father too. No matter how old you are it’s still so hard to lose a parent. You do feel a bit like an orphan.

17. Janet says:

After we sold my dad’s home when he entered the nursing home, I had a lovely dream that I walked by the house and was invited to a huge barbecue with lots of children and animals running around the backyard I once played in. It took away some of the sorrow of having to sell his home since he could no longer live alone. The other day I passed the house and the woman who bought it does have to big dogs who were wagging their tails as they waited for the door to open.

18. Hi Janet,
    It sounds like you have precognitive dream of the future!
    How wonderful and how wonderful to know that a happy family now lives in your childhood home.
    Thank you so much for commenting.

19. [...] I wrote about the dream I had that told me my father was going to pass away in a post titled, Deciphering Dreams: Is it A Warning, or Intuitive Guidance? (Dreams are the subconscious form of premonitions and we call them precognitive [...]