Intuition: Are You Blocking Yours?

Do you know the tell tale signs of someone who’s not in sync with their intuition?

Are you, or is someone you know overly concerned with other people’s lives?

Is there someone in your life who’s always offering advice when you didn’t ask?

Or, telling you what they did for someone else, or how this person is making a big mistake so THEY had to tell them what to do, and how to fix it?

Many times they know and spread all the local gossip too. Remember the Gladys Kravitz character from the television show Bewitched?

These are classic signs that a person is not in touch with their own inner guidance, or intuition.

People who aren’t in sync with their intuition focus on other people’s lives to distract them from their own low self-esteem, lack of accomplishment or boredom with their own lives. When we gossip about, or pay more attention to the problems of others, or focus on people who are in more unfortunate circumstances and try to “fix” them, it’s to distract us from taking a good hard look at our own lives.

When you’re in touch with your intuition, which is really your own inner guidance system, you focus on what’s needed to make your own life a success, rather than on fixing others. You’re open to dealing with your own unconscious blockages, or personality flaws, or behaviors that need attention and, most importantly rather than make excuses you take action.

The person who distracts themselves with others’ lives has put up a wall to block their intuition from coming through. Usually this person feels very inadequate and has many fears. Facing themselves and dealing with their own problems is the scariest prospect of all. It makes them feel better about themselves to be so “helpful” to others.

Arvind Devalia had a great post on his blog, (he has a lot of great posts – not just this one!)  Make it Happen, titled, “Why Decluttering Your Friends is Good for You and Them.” His post got me to thinking that these “helpful” types obsession with other people’s lives comes from being disconnected from their own intuition.

A reading I’d done for a woman having trouble with a neighbor came to mind. The neighbor was spreading rumors about this woman for no apparent reason.

The neighbor appeared to be so unhappy in her own life that I felt she was fabricating rumors about the woman I was reading for to deflect attention from her own problems.

While this might be an extreme example – not everyone who’s unhappy with their lives goes around starting rumors about others – you get the picture. The truth is, when we turn our attention outward we do it so that we will no longer “hear” what our inner guidance is trying to tell us.

Whether it’s us,  or people we know who are distracting themselves with other people’s lives  – the only solution is to dig deep and face the fears we’ve buried . The confidence that comes from dealing with and facing our buried problems bolsters self-esteem and sets the groundwork for overcoming other challenges.

To begin developing your intuitive ear in order to tune-in to what’s blocking you from focusing on your own life start with these 3 simple steps:

1. Tell yourself that you want to have dream that will show you what’s holding you back. Set an intention every evening to remember your dreams in the morning  until you do. Make sure to record them immediately. See what unconscious blockages spring to mind when looking over the dream. I suggest you go with your first impression.

2. Find a quiet place in your home where you can focus on your dream. Close your eyes for 5 to 15 minutes and ask your intuition to give you a solution as to how to overcome the blockage revealed in your dream.

3. While in this meditative state take out your journal and answer this question: If I could do anything, or be anything without worrying about money what would it be? Begin writing and don’t sensor yourself. The biggest obstacle to jump-starting intuition is not listening to our own truth. When you stifle who you are you shut down your intuition.

Do you know anyone like this? Have you dealt with this type of personality? What did you do?

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Intuition: Are You Blocking Yours?”

1. Baker says:

I enjoyed this post. I have found for me in my life, that being guided my intution led to more of a feeling of self empowerment, versus getting into compare mode and worried about what other people were concerning themselves with. The intuition continues to guides us, and it really is a choice the indvidual makes for themselves, either to be guided by it, or otherwise. Nice timing on me reading your post, for I am in a nice flow of simply listening to my own guidance as well.

Hi Baker, Thank you for visiting and for leaving your comment. I’m glad you enjoyed the post. It’s good to hear that you’ve developed such strong intuition as to let it guide you throughout your life. I agree – it is absolutely empowering. Glad your intuition led you here today!

What a great observation! A friend asked me how I stay so positive even after getting hit hard by the recession. I told her it is becasue I know I am safe and that I am inspired by divine intuition. And that when someone pisses me off (similar to the types you describe in your article) I recognize that they too have the same divine connection that I have. But unfortunately for them, they just don’t know it.

4. Giulietta says:

Yes, I used to work with a few people like you describe. Love your line below

“People who aren’t in sync with their intuition focus on other people’s lives to distract them from their own low self-esteem, lack of accomplishment or boredom with their own lives.”l

People get bored because they do not have the courage to live while they are alive. Jump in and participate folks! Way more fun.

You could have a field day in cubicle nation …

Thanks!

Giulietta

5. Jenny Hones says:

While reading this I found myself saying, “how true!”. I find that those with lots of advice mean well but often jump to their own conclusions. I agree that it is really important to take the time to reflect on our own well-being before we criticize others.
    Jenny

Hi Rosemarie, Yes, you’re are so right! Intuition is our connection to the divine creator. When we need a lifeline – it comes in the form of our intuition. It is sad when people don’t realize they can tap into this connection. Thank you for making this point!

Hi Giulietta, Thank you for your comment and welcome to my blog. I’m glad you enjoyed the post and were able to identify the personality types I mentioned. You’re right too – there’s no reason to be a buttinsky in other lives if you’re own life is thoroughly satisfying!

Hi Jenny, so nice to see you here again! Yes, you make a good point – look to yourself first before judging others. Thank you for your comment.

Great insight Angela.

We live in the age of escapism and distraction. To be an inward person and live one’s truth takes courage and strength.

We place so much value on entertainment because we’d rather do this than experience our own lives (good and not so good).

Intuition is our connection to the divine (thank you Rosemary). Right now I’m trying to imagine a life where all of us are connected within and letting everyone else just be… how peaceful!

Thanks Angela for this wonderful topic.

10. Firstly Angela, thanks for mentioning my blog post in your article above.

Since I first visited your blog a few weeks ago, I have been training myself to become more intuitive such as by guessing who is calling when the phone rings etc. And amazingly I am getting better!

So for me the realisation that I am more intuitive than I could have guess has been quite a revelation.

I am going to apply your 3 steps tonight before I doze off – and I shall keep you posted about what comes up:-)

Hi Manal, I agree with you – again! We do live in an age of distraction and escapism. When I was in grad school I studied media ecology – how media shape our culture and what we think about. One of the books on the required reading list was, Distracting Ourselves to Death. This book described Western Culture in those exact terms – and that television was the major distraction! Yes, can you imagine if we could all be plugged into our intuition? I don’t think we’d see too many wars starting…..peace would reign. Thanks so much for your comments Manal. Always a pleasure hearing from you!

Hi Arvind, thank you for visiting my blog and – you’re welcome. Thanks for inspiring me to write the post! Yes, who was it that said, “Practice makes perfect,” Benjamin Franklin? Wise man that he was…. It’s amazing what the mind can tap into if we just open up enough to try our wings a bit. Please let us know how you do after trying the three steps for a few nights. I remember my dreams almost every day – today mine told me that it is time to break free of who I was in the past. How freeing. Tell us about the dream you get with the 3 steps.

Gladys Kravitz used to make me laugh out loud, but it’s not so funny when we have to deal with that behavior in real life. I’ve known several people who had most of the traits you described, and although I try to treat all people with respect and kindness, I’ve learned to limit the amount of time I spend with these folks because I can literally feel my energy draining from my body when I’m with them. I’ve also learned to look at people’s criticism in a new light, which is that when someone is critical or judgmental, it’s about their own attitudes and limiting beliefs and has nothing to do with me.

14. Catrien Ross says:

Angela, thank you so much for another insightful, practical post. You always present such clarity in your steps. Yes, I have encountered such personalities in Japan – interestingly they were all women. And the one who was most concerned about other people’s lives was one of the unhappiest, most bitter and complaining people I have ever met. People actually went out of their way to avoid interaction with her, which of course made her even more determined to insert herself in their lives. It is such a reminder about the inner work each of us needs to do – and continue doing. Her behavior made me look more deeply at how I move in the world in my connections and interactions, so actually I am very grateful for the encounter, in many ways, including the insights it gave me about Japanese culture.

Thank you, too, for stopping by to enjoy my blog post about a very unusual aspect of Japanese culture. Greetings to you from the mountains of Japan – Catrien Ross.

Fantastic Post! I love how you described the person who isn’t in sync with their intuition – I had a long time friend who fit this description perfectly and as the years went by it came more and more (more gossip, more judgement, more trying to other’s problems etc… fortunately that friendship came to end. Your description helps to identify it so it’s not just a feeling of yucky-ness. You give it clarity.

I’m looking forward to practicing your 3 steps this week. I’m especially curious about the dreams. – I’ll set the intention and see what shows up.

Hi Jean, thank you for your very insightful comment. I also feel my energy draining when I’m around people like that. I had forgotten. Thanks for bringing that up. And, yes it’s about them and their own limiting beliefs and attitudes – not us. The sad part is that people with these characteristics will never see themselves this way, so they won’t change.

Hi Catrien, I’m so glad you found that post helpful. You make an excellent point – we can use the example of this type of personality to remind ourselves of the inner work we all need to continually do in our lives. Thank you for bringing that out. It’s true to that the more you try to avoid this type of personality the more they scramble to remain in your life!

Hi Aileen, I’m happy you enjoyed the post. I especially happy that it could help to bring some understanding to that friendship you had that ended with the “clueless” friend. Yes, please try the three steps to contact your inner guidance and let me know what bits of wisdom and inspiration arise!

19. Greg Blencoe says:

Hey Angela,

I was just stopping by your blog to read your response to my recent comment. And I happened to come across this post. I wanted to leave a quick comment and let you know that I REALLY enjoyed it.

I’m so happy I found your blog. I really think your blog is going to help me take my intuition to the next level. Thanks for leaving that comment on my guest post at Change Your Thoughts!

Greg, I’m SO GLAD! I know – that you know – how it feels as a writer to have someone appreciate your work. Thank you! I’d be honored if my blog helped you to heighten your intuition.

And your so welcome for the comment on your guest post at Change Your Thoughts too. It was an excellent article!

21. Hulbert Lee says:

Hi Angela, it’s really nice landing on your blog. I’m a big intuition believe; it helped saved me from joining a pyramid scheme during my freshman year of college.

I could relate to your post when you talked about people overly concerned with other people’s lives. Gossip in other words. When I went to visit my family, my aunt constantly talked about me behind my back and created drama from nothing which eventually involved the entire family. Although I respect her, I think she’s was more interested in other people’s lives rather than her own. She kind of reminds me of the neighbor you were talking about.

To deal with this, I try to let things be rather then create more negative energy to the situation and adding onto the drama. I like your tip on finding a quiet place and focusing on our dream. It really helped me calm myself and focus on what I want to. Thanks for this Angela! Great blog by the way!

Hi Hulbert, Welcome to my blog and thank you so much for visiting! I’m glad to hear that you are reliant upon your intuition – obviously I’m a big fan of this too! Wow, what a great story about intuition helping you not get sucked into a pyramid scheme too. I’d love to hear the details on that if you’d care to share.

I’m sorry to hear about your aunt being so invasive. That’s really a shame – I’m sure it doesn’t make you want to be around her too often. I think you have the right attitude though to let things be rather than get involved in all the negative energy and adding to the drama.

I’m happy to hear that you found my tip useful about mulling over your dreams to look for intuitive insight as well. Thank you for your kind compliment on the blog too! Stop back again anytime.

23. I remember Gladys from Bewitched, her husband was much more easy going! What a pair!

Actually I know a few people like that in my life. You are right people with low self esteem tend to make themselves better by putting others down.

If only we listen to our own gut feeling, we would do right thing and feel right. I am afraid we have too much “noise”, and distractions in our lives and we have stopped listening to our intuition.

24. katie says:

You’re very right! I do like this post. And I love the subject. What most resonated with me was how it could be applied to bullies. The neighor who needs to hurt someone because she’s hurting. It’s often the case with a bully.

Your actions steps are also terrific. And something I think I’ll try just to keep myself in touch with my intuition. Great stuff! Can’t wait to come back for more.

Cheers,

Katie

Hi Katie,
    So glad you like the post! But – lol – it’s not the one I was referring too! I’m glad you read it however. It’s my landing page for my site.

I’m happy that you’re going to try my action steps. Let me know how you make out. I also want to thank you for subscribing too!

I’ll look forward to seeing you here again then!

Angela

26. [...] Intuition: Are You Blocking Yours? by Angela Artemis at Mystic Musings [...]

Thank you Greg!

28. Topi says:

Wow, I’m half way through reading the posts listed on Greg’s list of 10 must read posts, and I’m loving it! I’m so glad that post has brought me to your blog, I loved this post and I can see I’m going to enjoy having a look around while I’m here! Lovely to connect with you!
    Topi

Hi Topi,
    Welcome & Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I also visited your blog and left you a comment. I look forward to reading more of your posts as well!

30. Kim says:

You have so many wonderful points in your post! If only, in the midst of gossiping, people could have a moment of self-awareness to experience inner peace.

I have been de-cluttering for what seems like years — at home, career-wise, letting go of Mrs. Kravitz and her cohorts ;) It makes for a quiet and peaceful environment to go within and create what most resonates with me.

Thank you for connecting. Happy to meet you :)

31. Mark says:

Great article. You offer some very important reminders. Yes I know people with personalities like you describe. What works best for me is to not feed the fire, to let them know that you are not interested in the gossip and to accept the unsolicited advice yet not make a deal of it. The power that fuels this type of behavior that you describe is an audience and a reaction. If you take away the reaction then you remove the fuel and therefore the motivation behind the action.

Hi Kim, What a pleasure having you visit my blog! Thank you for your kind words about the post.

I agree – self-awareness is the key here. The problem is these individuals are so shut down internally which is why they are so externally focused. If I help one person see themselves in this article I’ll be elated over it. And you’re right – when you’re so externally focused you’re trying to drown out your own demons (the critics voice) so how can you have a moments peace?

I’m so glad you’ve been decluttering for a while – it definitely shows on your site and in your excellent content that you have it all together.

Thanks for your comment and it was a pleasure “meeting’ you too!

Hi Mark, Welcome to my blog. Thanks so much for stopping by!

I’m glad you found the post useful. I know – don’t we all know a few people like this?

Great way to deal with this by not feeding the fire and non-reaction. Absolutely – you’re so right. I think when you do this and get quiet this type of personality just might “get it” and see themselves. This could be the moment they have an A-ha moment and change.

Thanks so much for your very insightful comment!