What’s Love Got to Do With Reality?

Are we really here? And where is here?

Physicists are revealing that what we perceive as reality may not be what we think.

We may think we are our bodies and our minds, but we would be wrong according to many new findings in science.

Each of us is actually individual states of consciousness that exists within one unified field – the field of consciousness.

I’ve been thinking a lot about consciousness and reality since I  wrote my last post – Constant Craving: The Mystic Experience, and wondering why our perception of the world changes when we have a mystical experience?

Many of you commented that you’d had a mystical experience and felt during it a connection to and love for all of life. As I said in that post, when we have these momentary connections to all life we’re actually plugging-in to the over-arching reality that our narrow every day reality is a fragment of. (Yes, I know it can be a bit confusing.)

To make it simpler for us regular folk to understand, scientists explain our reality as being like different programs all open at the same time on a computer.

For example, say I’m an open program  (my consciousness) on the computer screen. If you were sitting in front of the computer at that time it would appear that I’m separate (my program) from the other programs because mine is the only one on the screen. In actuality though, all the programs are open at once, whether they are being viewed or not, and are all part of the same data base; the same unified field of zeros and ones on your computer.

Because we experience our lives in the context of being in a physical body, we are like that one open program on the computer screen – we experience ourselves as separate from the other “programs.” Our awareness of separateness is a perceptual illusion. Our perception of reality is like the fish in the ocean not knowing what water is. We are those fish, and when we awaken, even if for a moment to our true reality it’s as if we’ve come up for air – we see there is a vast world beyond the environment of the ocean we’ve been swimming in. We exist in our own ocean – an ocean of consciousness. And, like the fish swimming in the ocean who aren’t aware of the water, we aren’t aware of the existence of consciousness that’s all around us.

So, why does our perception of reality change when we have a mystical experience?

Because for a split second we’ve transcended the ego and the false fears it uses to hypnotize us. We see clearly that we are pure consciousness when the ego recedes to the background. We’re also intuitively aware that we’re pure consciousness that’s been encapsulated within a body for a short time. When the body dies we rejoin the rest of the ocean of consciousness. Just as a wave cannot be separated from the ocean – each of us is an interconnected thread in the fabric of consciousness.

Can we do anything to encourage more awareness of our oneness?

1. Go within – meditate – everyday. Make it a habit to detach from the outside world and focus your attention on the feeling of oneness. If you have trouble meditating and stopping the flow of thoughts read these simple instructions from my earlier post on how to meditate.

2. Realize that reality isn’t physical or outside of us – it’s created by the thinker within. We create our reality by the thoughts we think. And right now we, the human race is collectively dreaming our reality into being. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience.

3.  Recognize that the emotion of fear is what reinforces the perception of separation. When we perceive reality as threatening we develop an us versus them mentality which only strengthens the illusion of separateness. This is where you need to face the fears directly to get to their source. Once you alleviate the fears begin focusing on love. Love is the opposite of fear – and always the answer, and as John Lennon said: Love is all there is.

Are there other ways you know of to develop an awareness of our unity? Let us know. Leave a comment.

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “What’s Love Got to Do With Reality?”

I love the computer analogy–we’re all part of the same database. It reminds me of something Martin Luther King Jr. said. Someone asked him how he can show kindness to a racist. He said he could because underneath our skin we are all the same; we are all children of God. It was his way of saying that we are all part of the same database–the same divine source.

Hi Rosemarie, thanks so much for you comment. What a wonderful story about Martin Luther King too. I couldn’t agree more, but then who would disagree with MLK? We’re all just open pages on one big date base!

3. Catrien Ross says:

Angela, thank you so much for your enlightening, thought-provoking post. And I am so delighted to find your photo! I keep this very photo in my files and send it out from time to time to friends because it draws such a joyful smile and sense of playful connection – and is such a reminder of the wonder of the natural world.

Your computer program analogy is so evocative. It also helps explain the lack of connection between the different parts of our self – and the confusion and frustration that can result when we choose separation rather than integration.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and also for stopping by to comment so warmly on my blog. Morning greetings from the mountains to you – Catrien Ross.

Catrien, how lovely to see you here. Thank you for reading my post and commenting too. I’m so glad you found it thought-provoking as well. I am so happy that science is beginning to validate what the ancients knew eons ago.

Did you find my photo? Or, are you referring to the fish? I must confess there are times when I feel a bit like that fish looks!

The computer program analogy comes from a book I’m reading written by physicist, Thomas Campbell. His book is called, My Big Toe. I found it a very helpful analogy as well.

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Japan. I love your blog, Energy Doorways!

5. Catrien Ross says:

Angela, so funny.

I was referring to the fish – I feel I resemble that fish, too sometimes. Not that I mind, really – that fish looks so content and joyful in itself!

Love again from Energy Doorways in Japan – Catrien Ross.

Hi Catrien, I wonder sometimes if it would be easier to be a fish in a lovely little bowl being fed and taken care of….

7. Angelaa,

I’ve always told my children that what you think expands. It’s so true! Thanks for this thought provoking post. I also agree that once you get rid of fear you can really focus on the important…just like you said, LOVE!

I’ve really enjoyed reading through your blog! I’ll check back often.
    And, thanks for you very kind words on my blog today.

Hi Betsy, Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comments. I’m glad you found the post thought-provoking. Yes, love really is all there is. I look forward to seeing you hear again. I enjoyed your blog as well.

I love your site!
    The computer is fantastic metaphor. I remember when I first started using the computer and I had thought I lost the project I was working on simply because I had minimized the program window and and I couldn’t find it.
    Same can be said when we feel we’ve lost our connection to the mystical. Sometimes it just takes mediating to reconnect

… and some times it takes a friend to show us that we’ve only minimized our program on our computer; it’s not lost.
    THANK YOU for your great post!
    Your posts make my mind think – LOVE THAT!

Hi Aileen, Welcome to my blog and thanks so much for your comment. Thank you for nice complement about Mystic Musings too. I love your story about thinking you’d lost your project when the program was minimized – another great analogy. I’m so happy that I made you think too. I look forward to reading more on your site too!

Ah consciousness is one of my favorite subjects. This is a brilliant post Angela. I join the others in appreciating the computer analogy.

We are living the best time in humanity. Science has advanced so much and what used to be mystic spiritual concepts and ideas are now backed by quantum physics.

We are moving forward in a direction that brings more love and appreciation of our connectedness than any time in history.

Hi Manal, and thank you. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post. It was one of the most rewarding ones to write since it speaks to my passion for physics and spirituality. I feel you’re right. We, our species, is waking up to our connectedness.