Is There a Difference Between Intuition, Psychism and Mediumship?

Can you tell the difference between an intuitive flash and a psychic one?

Would you know if you heard a voice if it was coming from your intuition or from another source?

The other day I was responding to comments from my interview with Hulbert Lee on his blog, From Bottom Up and I got a very interesting question from blogger, Farnoosh Brock creator of Prolific Living. Farnoosh asked if there was a difference between intuition and premonitions? She’d had a few experiences and wasn’t sure what to classify them as.

The term intuition is used very loosely these days. Most people using it don’t realize that when they use the word intuition they’re using it to cover both intuitive and psychic experiences, or abilities.

In the last few years I’ve noticed that many psychics began calling themselves intuitives – me included. I’d always felt people judged me when I used the word psychic to define my abilities, so I decided to soften it by saying I was an intuitive. After all every one’s intuitive, right? It seemed to be more readily accepted and respectable than saying I was a psychic. The word psychic always brought to mind some storefront with a cheesy neon sign and fortune teller inside just waiting to tell you there was a curse on you.

The only problem in calling myself an intuitive rather than a psychic is that they are two very different things. If you’re psychic than you’re definitely intuitive, but being intuitve doesn’t mean you’re also psychic. Just as being psychic doesn’t guarantee you’ll also have mediumistic abilities.

Here’s how you can tell the difference.

1. There are three very different forms of communication that are beyond the five senses. They all fall under the realm of Extra-Sensory Perception and they are; intuition, psychic perceptions (also called psychism)  and mediumship.

2. Intuition comes from within. It’s your own wisdom, or higher self speaking to you and guiding you and protecting you from harm. If you have a gut feeling, or strong emotion like dread or fear, or sense that something is going to happen to someone, or something bad is going to happen to you it’s called a premonition, or presentiment, and it falls under the category of Intuition. I wrote an in depth post about how to recognize your intuition speaking to you. Click here to read it.

3. Psychic information comes from outside of you. It can come from another person, such as in mind to  mind communication, called telepathy. It can come from reading the energy of another person – their aura. It can come from projecting the mind to other locations to gain information at a distance which is called Remote Viewing.

There are three main forms of psychic communication; clairvoyance, clairaudience,  and clairsentience.

There’s also other “clairs” such as smelling things or tasting things that are not physically present as well but not as common as the other clairs.

Clairvoyance is the ability to see things that are not physically present mostly with the third eye, or mind’s eye, but there are times when things can be seen with the eyes open but only by the psychic. Clairvoyance is also called Remote Viewing.

This is what happened to Farnoosh. She has seen events exactly as they were going to happen, “I have foreseen a car accident exactly as it happened 8 days later and running into an old ex who lived in a far away state the day before I ran into him.” If you SEE the event as picture in your mind before it occurs than you’re having a clairvoyant vision. This is precognition, also called future sight, or knowledge of the future.

Clairaudience is information that is heard mostly within the mind. Sometimes it does come as a physical voice, but cannot be heard by anyone other than the psychic. For example last Saturday I was sitting at my kitchen counter reading an email when I heard this: “Hulbert is going to interview you.” It came into my mind from outside of me as a voice speaking in my head. It stood out from my normal mind chatter. A few hours later an email from Hulbert arrived asking if he could interview me.

Clairsentience is the ability to feel the emotion or state of mind of others or the pains they have in their body and is very common with psychics and mediums. Many healers experience this when they are working with their patients as well.

3. Mediumship communication comes from outside of you also, but instead of coming from another person it comes from a discarnate personality – meaning someone who has died and no longer has a body. Mediumship also uses all the clairs to communicate with spirits.

Betsy Henry, blogger and creator of How To Be A Zen Mama said the evening that her grandmother passed away, “I had an experience that my grandmother sat on my bed the night she died. I could feel her weight on the bed and her presence.” This was a mediumistic communication Betsy’s grandmother communicated using clairsentience wherein Betsy was aware of her presence.

This is just a quick over view and not meant to be the complete guide to extra-sensory perception. I hope you find it helpful and that it makes this clearer to you.

If you have any questions about experiences you’ve had please share them in the comments and I’ll be happy to clarify them.

And, if you enjoyed this post please share it on Facebook or Retweet it on Twitter. Thank you!

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Is There a Difference Between Intuition, Psychism and Mediumship?”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by AryavaaN, Angela Artemis. Angela Artemis said: New Blog Post: Is There a Difference Between Intuition, Psychism and Mediumship? http://bit.ly/aXa0i7 [...]

2. Hulbert Lee says:

Wow Angela, thanks for this great post. It’s fascinating to understand the differences between intuition, psychism, and mediumship. I used to think they were all pretty related, but there is obviously a big difference between psychism and mediumship. It’s nice to know someone who has these abilities. Also, I thought the part when you heard a voice speaking in your head that said, “Hulbert is going to interview you” was kind of crazy and scary (in a good way of course :) )Thanks for sharing this Angela.

Hi Hulbert,
    You’re so welcome. I wouldn’t have realized there was so much confusion out there unless you’d interview me and Farnoosh had asked that question.
    Yes, when I was told you were going to interview me I just chuckled and waited for it to happen!
    It’s my pleasure to share my experiences with you. If you ever want me to look into anything for you please just give me a jingle on Skype!

Have a great day!

Thank you, Angela. this is the clearest explanation I have ever seen about the difference between forms of psychic experiences. It is a confusing subject because of the way we use words to mask meanings or because language just changes. I learned that when the CIA began studying psychic phenomenon, they were the first to call it remote viewing. Couldn’t have a govt agency validating ESP, now could we. :o )

Hi Rosemarie,
    I’m so glad you found the post useful. I realized that we/me were all lumping everything under the label of intuition which was very misleading.
    Yes, I should have mentioned that in the article about the CIA giving clairvoyance the name “remote viewing.” Thank you for bringing it up.
    God forbid the government validated ESP – you’re right!

I learned so much from this! I just lumped every ability together before and didn’t understand the distinctive differences. As always, I’m endlessly fascinated by these discussions.

7. Hi Jean,
    I’m so glad it clarified things for you. I didn’t realize that this was such a jumbled topic until Farnoosh left her question for me.
    I’m so glad you find it fascinating.
    Maybe we should set up a long distance remote viewing experiment for all the subscribers of Mystic Musings? It would be a fun exercise.

8. Mark says:

That was very educational. I knew some of the differences, however you taught me some things I was not fully aware of. Thank-you.

9. Thanks for the clarification! (And the mention!!) My grandmother promised she tried to communicate after she died. My sister and my mother also had interesting experiences. My sister felt she’d been hugged. My mother heard a bird singing in the night in the middle of a Chicago winter. Even as I write this I get the chills.

It is fascinating!

10. Farnoosh says:

Dear Angela, how kind of you to take my question and answer it in a blog post format. I feel so honored. Thank you so much for knowing how much it meant to me to understand this. I had not heard the word “precognition” until now! I had heard “premonition” – which if I think about it, could be *included* as I definitely and a sense about this event coming,I just knew it in more detail than a random premonition. Right? Indeed, this happens to me a lot and often in a dream but sometimes in a voice in my head. Maybe I should really heed my own voice….Thanks again. You really honored me with going above and beyond in responding to my question, Angela!

Angela you really do have a great way of explaining the nuances of the physic realm. I may have said this before, but it really is a talent to convey the information in a logical intellectual manner.
    You are a great teacher of this information and I wouldn’t be surprised if you were meant to be one who calls others to their own physic awakenings.

12. Greg Blencoe says:

I appreciate your clarifying these three terms.

I completely agree that the term psychic doesn’t have the best image with the general public. I liked the picture you chose to include with this post! And the word intuitive definitely seems to be more acceptable with the general public.

Thanks for the post!

13. Sandy says:

I just dropped in to check out your blog. Nice! I enjoyed your podcast interview as well.

Best Wishes,

Sandy

14. Hi Sandy,
    Welcome to my blog. It’s so nice of your to stop by. I’m glad you enjoyed the post and the podcast interview.
    Thank you so much for listening.
    I look forward to “seeing” you again
    Sincerely,
    Angela

15. Hi Greg,
    I’m glad you found the information useful. Yes, unfortunately, a few bad apples as they say has ruined the image of saying your a psychic.
    You’re welcome! So nice seeing you here again!

16. Hi Aileen,
    I really appreciate your saying that Aileen. I try to be as down to earth as one can be when in a profession like this!
    I’d love to help others develop their psychic abilities.
    Thank you for your kind words.

17. Hi Farnoosh,
    Thank you for visiting my blog. You’re welcome. Your question was a really good one and very valid. It got me to thinking that I’d done an injustice to my readers by trying to put all abilities and phenomena under the umbrella of intuition alone. I thank you for that!

Have a strong sense of “knowing” the details of a future event is called claircognizance. I didn’t go into it in the article because it’s one of the lesser known clairs. It’s a knowledge of the future that comes through the sixth sense. It’s a psychic ability not a premonition which is under the intuition heading. So, even if you didn’t SEE the event if you just KNEW about it along with a lot of the details you were getting information psychicly through claircognizence. You have a gift. You should work on expanding it.

18. Hi Betsy,
    I’m glad you found the information helpful. I see your grandmother kept her promise and that she also visited your sister and mother. Wow, feeling a hug. That’s pretty cool.
    That’s amazing about the bird in the middle of the Chicago winter.
    Yes, it is fascinating isn’t it?
    Did you ever get a chance to rent the documentary: Something Is Doing We Don”t Know What…? That had a lot of great scientific information describing how some psychic phenomena work.

19. Hi Mark,
    It’s so nice to see you here again! I’m glad you found the article so helpful. I know you’ve studied this material, but I’m glad I could give you a bit more information.
    You’re so welcome.

20. Katie says:

Fascinating Angela. What an interesting world you must live in. My husband had that very same experience when his grandmother died, of her sitting on the bed. He found it quite comforting and has been waiting for his mother, who passed away in November of last year, to visit, but she hasn’t. I wonder how much of it comes out of imagination and need. Amazing stuff, Angela. Thanks for continually shifting how I see things.

21. Hi Katie,
    I’m glad you found the post interesting. Yes, I never thought about it, but I guess I do live in an interesting world!
    I’m sure your husband did find having his grandmother sit on his bed very comforting. They come to us to let us know they’re okay.
    I hope he does get a communication from his mother. He can ask her to speak to him in his dreams. That’s the easiest way for spirits to communicate with us.
    I think seeing is believing. When someone dies you do feel a need to see them again and if you’re lucky enough that they make an appearance you’ll be able to tell whether it’s your imagination, or a mediumistic experience.
    Thank you so much for your comments!

Another great post Angela. It helps clarify some of the misconceptions about ESP. I love reading your posts. They explain concepts and experiences that are not that easy to talk about.

Thank you for following your passion and writing about it. It is truly inspiring.

23. Hi Manal,
    Thank you for such a nice compliment. It’s my pleasure! Glad you found the information useful and inspiring.

Have a wonderful weekend.

24. Angela,

It was nice to learn difference between terminology. Like Farnoosh, sometimes I too have similar thoughts. Some times I feel how things will happen and what people will say and it happens, I am not sure it is because I wished it, it happen or I am intuitive?

I am fascinated with this subject as I am understanding and learning new things and I feel somehow connected with subject even though I do not much about it. Does it make sense?

25. Hi Zengirl,
    So happy to see that you’re interested in this topic. I guess if you heard Hulbert interviewing me you know that it’s been a passion of mine since I was a little girl.

To me it sounds like you’re psychic. The best way to bolster your confidence in this area and know it’s not just you “wishing it” is to keep a record of what happens.

Every time something happens that you recall knowing before hand – write it down. Try to remember exactly how this came to you. What were you doing? What was going on around you. Was it a feeling in your gut? Or just a knowing? Did you sense it emotionally of physically (feelings), did you see it (visions) or did you hear it (a voice), or did you just know it? Once you start to do this you’ll see a pattern. You’ll also see which of the “clairs” is your strong suit.

From you said in your comment it sounds like claircognizance. This is when you just KNOW something is going to happen to someone. You are given all the details in one download of information – and suddenly you just KNOW. Is this what happened?

It makes sense Zengirl. This is how it is in the beginning – kind of confusing.

26. rob white says:

Fascinating discussion as usual. Thanks for clarifying these. I have always been pretty good at going with my gut… the intuition you speak of. My sister has had clairvoyant moments and in the past I had always been a bit skeptical… it seems to be more common than one would imagine. I love these discussions because it validates my own belief that there really is a universal mind that we are all connected to.

27. Hi Rob,
    I’m so glad you find the conversation fascinating and that it clarified things for you. I’m sure that you are very intuitive.
    I think your sister will be glad to know that your no longer skeptical of her clairvoyant moments.
    And, I’m glad this has validated your belief in a Universal Intelligence that connects all of us.
    Thank you so much for your comments Rob.

28. Kim says:

Thank you for the clarification between psychism and mediumship. Your post was fascinating! I wonder what it might mean when you dream an event that ends up taking place in real life? I know our minds are processing information as we sleep — we have a venting stage (where we release unwanted information) and a predictive stage (where we are making sense of things). Would this be labeled a premonition and therefore be part of intuition? Your expertise is engaging.

29. Wow, Angela, this is a great primer. You lay it out in such simple fashion, it is easy to understand. I fancy myself pretty knowledgeable about such things, but even I get confused. This is a wonderful resource.

30. Chania Girl says:

I enjoy reading you posts, Angela, because they answer so many questions for me. I used to wonder if I was psychic. Maybe I do have a few of those latent abilities that just haven’t been trained. But I know I am intuitive. After reading your article, I can say that most of my “flashes of inspiration” have been flashes of intuition. They come from within. This doesn’t diminish the amazing-ness of it for me, though. I think it’s fantastic we can know without always understanding how we know.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

31. Hi Kim,
    I’m so glad this post clarified things for you and that you found it fascinating.

If you dream of something and then it comes happens that’s what we call a precognitive dream. It falls under the realm of a psychic event. This isn’t intuition because the information of the future comes from outside of you.

Intuition has more to do with you, or your loved ones and protection or guidance. It’s your own inner wisdom.

Kim, anytime you have a question – please don’t hesitate to ask me.

Thank you so much for you comment.

32. Hi Charlotte,
    It’s so nice of you to visit! I’m so happy you find this to be a good resource that’s easy to understand.
    I’m glad you consider it a good resource too.
    Thank you so much for commenting.

33. Hi Carla,
    Intuition is awesome! I’m ecstatic for you. Being intuitive is actually much more useful in your own life than being psychic. Realizing how intuitive you are definitely shouldn’t diminish the amazing-ness of it!
    You’re so welcome. I love sharing this information with people.
    Thank you so much for commenting.