Posts Tagged ‘Intuition’
I wanted to put out a quick post saying
that I’ve moved Mystic Musings to a new
URL: Powered by Intuition
Please post any comments to the new
I will have a redirect in place soon.
Please resubscribe to continue getting
the posts by email or RSS feed.
Thank you – and see you at Powered by Intuition.
Can you tell the difference between an intuitive flash and a psychic one?
Would you know if you heard a voice if it was coming from your intuition or from another source?
The other day I was responding to comments from my interview with Hulbert Lee on his blog, From Bottom Up and I got a very interesting question from blogger, Farnoosh Brock creator of Prolific Living. Farnoosh asked if there was a difference between intuition and premonitions? She’d had a few experiences and wasn’t sure what to classify them as.
The term intuition is used very loosely these days. Most people using it don’t realize that when they use the word intuition they’re using it to cover both intuitive and psychic experiences, or abilities.
In the last few years I’ve noticed that many psychics began calling themselves intuitives – me included. I’d always felt people judged me when I used the word psychic to define my abilities, so I decided to soften it by saying I was an intuitive. After all every one’s intuitive, right? It seemed to be more readily accepted and respectable than saying I was a psychic. The word psychic always brought to mind some storefront with a cheesy neon sign and fortune teller inside just waiting to tell you there was a curse on you.
The only problem in calling myself an intuitive rather than a psychic is that they are two very different things. If you’re psychic than you’re definitely intuitive, but being intuitve doesn’t mean you’re also psychic. Just as being psychic doesn’t guarantee you’ll also have mediumistic abilities.
Here’s how you can tell the difference.
1. There are three very different forms of communication that are beyond the five senses. They all fall under the realm of Extra-Sensory Perception and they are; intuition, psychic perceptions (also called psychism) and mediumship.
2. Intuition comes from within. It’s your own wisdom, or higher self speaking to you and guiding you and protecting you from harm. If you have a gut feeling, or strong emotion like dread or fear, or sense that something is going to happen to someone, or something bad is going to happen to you it’s called a premonition, or presentiment, and it falls under the category of Intuition. I wrote an in depth post about how to recognize your intuition speaking to you. Click here to read it.
3. Psychic information comes from outside of you. It can come from another person, such as in mind to mind communication, called telepathy. It can come from reading the energy of another person – their aura. It can come from projecting the mind to other locations to gain information at a distance which is called Remote Viewing.
There are three main forms of psychic communication; clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairsentience.
There’s also other “clairs” such as smelling things or tasting things that are not physically present as well but not as common as the other clairs.
Clairvoyance is the ability to see things that are not physically present mostly with the third eye, or mind’s eye, but there are times when things can be seen with the eyes open but only by the psychic. Clairvoyance is also called Remote Viewing.
This is what happened to Farnoosh. She has seen events exactly as they were going to happen, “I have foreseen a car accident exactly as it happened 8 days later and running into an old ex who lived in a far away state the day before I ran into him.” If you SEE the event as picture in your mind before it occurs than you’re having a clairvoyant vision. This is precognition, also called future sight, or knowledge of the future.
Clairaudience is information that is heard mostly within the mind. Sometimes it does come as a physical voice, but cannot be heard by anyone other than the psychic. For example last Saturday I was sitting at my kitchen counter reading an email when I heard this: “Hulbert is going to interview you.” It came into my mind from outside of me as a voice speaking in my head. It stood out from my normal mind chatter. A few hours later an email from Hulbert arrived asking if he could interview me.
Clairsentience is the ability to feel the emotion or state of mind of others or the pains they have in their body and is very common with psychics and mediums. Many healers experience this when they are working with their patients as well.
3. Mediumship communication comes from outside of you also, but instead of coming from another person it comes from a discarnate personality – meaning someone who has died and no longer has a body. Mediumship also uses all the clairs to communicate with spirits.
Betsy Henry, blogger and creator of How To Be A Zen Mama said the evening that her grandmother passed away, “I had an experience that my grandmother sat on my bed the night she died. I could feel her weight on the bed and her presence.” This was a mediumistic communication Betsy’s grandmother communicated using clairsentience wherein Betsy was aware of her presence.
This is just a quick over view and not meant to be the complete guide to extra-sensory perception. I hope you find it helpful and that it makes this clearer to you.
If you have any questions about experiences you’ve had please share them in the comments and I’ll be happy to clarify them.
And, if you enjoyed this post please share it on Facebook or Retweet it on Twitter. Thank you!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Former Harvard Professor: The Scientific Case for Psychic Phenomena (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
Lois G, a friend and fellow medium is going to be in Houston from July 29 to August 1st giving readings and teaching a workshop on developing your sixth sense.
Her seminar looks fascinating – wish I could be there.
Click on the link below to view the details.
Have you ever been convinced something terrible was going to happen?
Were you sure that your kid, or partner was going to be in a horrific traffic accident?
Were you able to think of nothing else and replayed the scenario over and over in your mind?
If so, you were having a “fearful daydream.”
Confused? This sounds like a Premonition, you say?
I know. Don’t worry. I’ll explain.
In a recent post, titled Intuition: Will We Ever Learn How it Works?, I asked readers if they’d ever had any premonitions and several of you commented that you weren’t sure.
Many said that it was because they weren’t able to tell the difference between a “fearful daydream” and a premonition.
The confusion was mentioned several times, so here are some pointers on telling the difference between the two.
Premonitions are when we know something is going to happen for no apparent, or conscious reason. We have no knowledge that was given to us about this event – we just know that we know.
In a premonition the information is not something we’ve consciously been dwelling on, as in the case of a fear that your teenage child will get into an accident – that’s a fear we’re aware of.
A premonition APPEARS in the mind – whole and complete. Again, it’s not something you were thinking about. It’s an awareness of an event that was PLACED in the mind – but NOT by you.
In the case of a daydream you already have a fear that something may happen. This fear plays over and over again in your mind making you think it may just be a premonition. After a while you convince yourself it’s true.
In the example I mentioned about the fear your teenage child might get into an accident; if it were a true premonition the finality and the knowing that comes with a premonition would strike suddenly, and you’d just KNOW that this accident had occurred. You wouldn’t have to convince yourself it was true.
It can also feel like a gnawing in the stomach, or butterflies, or a nervousness regarding the issue that doesn’t subside until the event occurs. In this case, your body knows it’s true and reacts. This is hard to duplicate with a fearful daydream. You might feel very upset but it wouldn’t manifest with the same physical symptoms.
In a fearful daydream your not so sure ’cause it’s a thought you created with the rational mind – which is a sign that it’s not a premonition. With premonitions YOU KNOW and it arises spontaneously without any influence from the rational mind.
For example, I wrote about the dream I had that told me my father was going to pass away in a post titled, Deciphering Dreams: Is it A Warning, or Intuitive Guidance? (Dreams are the subconscious form of premonitions and we call them precognitive dreams.)
I had this dream 3 months before my father died and while he was perfectly healthy. There was no reason to suspect he’d die so soon. After I awoke I “knew” I was going to lose my father. My first thought was – this is the year I’m going to lose my father. I didn’t want it to be true, but I knew no matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise (and I did) or how healthy he was at the time of the dream that it was going to happen that year.
Around the time of 9/ll many people had premonitions about something happening. Many were premonitions like mine (I describe this in my previous post) that were non-specific. The common thing about all premonitions is that they come out of the blue. I wasn’t thinking about plane crashes when I began hearing plane crash sounds in my head.
The next time you work yourself up into a tizzy and worry that you’re not sure if you’ve had a premonition or fearful daydream try this:
1. Go sit somewhere quiet where you can relax. Close your eyes and take in some very deep breaths – make sure your stomach balloons out. Hold for a second or two then release. Do this until you feel calmer.
2. See in your mind’s eye a screen – like a movie screen at the theater. It’s white and rectangular and blank.
3. Tell yourself you’re going to ask a yes or no question and you want to see a traffic light on your screen. If the answer is yes the light will be green. If the answer is no the light will be red.
4. Now relax again, breathe some more. Be comfortable and when you’re ready ask yourself: Am I having a premonition of something that’s going to happen?
5. Focus on seeing the traffic light. It may come very very fast. Or you may just see a green or red color. Be aware it may come as a voice too. You may hear “yes” or feel “no.” It can very subtle so be on high alert.
What did you see? Was it a red light or a green light? If it was a red light allow yourself to relax knowing that you don’t have to be scared any longer. It was just your fears creating a scenario that isn’t going to happen.
If you liked this article please share it on Facebook or Retweet!
Related articles by Zemanta
- (5/2010) Dreams Are Premonitions Of The Future (basilandspice.com)
Have you ever wondered if telepathy is real?
Or, if precognition is truly possible?
Renee Scheltema has.
She’s the filmmaker behind the new documentary titled, “Something Unknown is Doing We Don’t Know What.” (Click on the title to watch the trailer.)
Scheltema had several vivid psychic experiences in her life that compelled her to seek out scientists studying these fields.
She wanted to know whether science could verify the existence of psychic phenomena.
To her amazement – they could.
I’ve not seen this film but I plan to order a copy of the DVD. I’ll write a review after I see it.
There are so many things that exist in our Universe that we cannot see – yet they’re very real. I’m only too happy to learn that science is now beginning to substantiate the experiences that so many of us have had.
For a week, or so before September 11, 2001 when I heard the sound of a plane fly by, in my mind I also heard a huge explosion – as if the plane had crashed. I didn’t pay attention to it at first until it had happened several times. Then I started to wonder what was wrong with me, and when I’d become such a morbid person? I kept telling myself to stop it – but I couldn’t. It didn’t come from me – the crashing sound came without my prompting it, or thinking it. The last time I remember hearing this was the day before 9/11. By that time I was very upset over it because I had no idea why it was happening.
It was only after that terrible Tuesday morning that I remembered these incidents and understood what the significance was.
I was not alone in having some sort of premonition about the 9/11 either. Many many people reported having premonitions about that morning. Too bad our culture isn’t more open to this – maybe we could have stopped it?
I know now that what I should have done was asked in meditation if the explosive end of the flights I was hearing was something real or metaphorical?
Next time I’ll know better – I hope there will never be a next time though, of course.
Just last week I was getting dressed when I kept having the strongest thought directing me to open my garage door run through my mind several times. I rationalized it away saying that I didn’t have to leave for at least a half hour, so why should I open the door? Ten minutes later there was a huge explosion sound. A transformer had blown down the block from my house – and then it it hit me: I have automatic garage doors that need electricity to open! Thank goodness I do have a manual override, but that evening I couldn’t undo the override and had to call a repair man to come to fix the door. Had I only listened – I would have saved myself some money!
When a friend of mine visited me recently we thought she’d lost her passport. The morning I was to drive her back to the airport I was downstairs in the kitchen while she was upstairs putting things in her suitcase. All of a sudden a thought rushed into my head: She’s found her passport! A minute later she came downstairs waving her passport at me.
Things like this happen to me often so I’m very curious to learn what makes intuition, psychic ability and it’s higher form, mediumship possible. I hope this documentary will shed some light on the science behind these phenomena. If you can get information from the Universe directly which is what we call intuition, and you can get information from another person which is what we call psychic, than why would it be so far-fetched to get information from the other side? I’ll be quite excited to see scientific proof on that.
If you’d like to listen to an interview with documentary filmmaker Scheltema, click this link: http://www.skeptiko.com/renee-scheltema-something-unknown/
Have you ever had a premonition of the future? A precognitive dream? I’d love to hear your experiences. Please share with us.
Related articles by Zemanta
- The ESP Enigma: The Scientific Case for Psychic Phenomena by Diane Hennacy Powell – review (telegraph.co.uk)
- In the service of science, not spin (guardian.co.uk)
Do you know the tell tale signs of someone who’s not in sync with their intuition?
Is there someone in your life who’s always offering advice when you didn’t ask?
Or, telling you what they did for someone else, or how this person is making a big mistake so THEY had to tell them what to do, and how to fix it?
Many times they know and spread all the local gossip too. Remember the Gladys Kravitz character from the television show Bewitched?
These are classic signs that a person is not in touch with their own inner guidance, or intuition.
People who aren’t in sync with their intuition focus on other people’s lives to distract them from their own low self-esteem, lack of accomplishment or boredom with their own lives. When we gossip about, or pay more attention to the problems of others, or focus on people who are in more unfortunate circumstances and try to “fix” them, it’s to distract us from taking a good hard look at our own lives.
When you’re in touch with your intuition, which is really your own inner guidance system, you focus on what’s needed to make your own life a success, rather than on fixing others. You’re open to dealing with your own unconscious blockages, or personality flaws, or behaviors that need attention and, most importantly rather than make excuses you take action.
The person who distracts themselves with others’ lives has put up a wall to block their intuition from coming through. Usually this person feels very inadequate and has many fears. Facing themselves and dealing with their own problems is the scariest prospect of all. It makes them feel better about themselves to be so “helpful” to others.
Arvind Devalia had a great post on his blog, (he has a lot of great posts – not just this one!) Make it Happen, titled, “Why Decluttering Your Friends is Good for You and Them.” His post got me to thinking that these “helpful” types obsession with other people’s lives comes from being disconnected from their own intuition.
A reading I’d done for a woman having trouble with a neighbor came to mind. The neighbor was spreading rumors about this woman for no apparent reason.
The neighbor appeared to be so unhappy in her own life that I felt she was fabricating rumors about the woman I was reading for to deflect attention from her own problems.
While this might be an extreme example – not everyone who’s unhappy with their lives goes around starting rumors about others – you get the picture. The truth is, when we turn our attention outward we do it so that we will no longer “hear” what our inner guidance is trying to tell us.
Whether it’s us, or people we know who are distracting themselves with other people’s lives – the only solution is to dig deep and face the fears we’ve buried . The confidence that comes from dealing with and facing our buried problems bolsters self-esteem and sets the groundwork for overcoming other challenges.
To begin developing your intuitive ear in order to tune-in to what’s blocking you from focusing on your own life start with these 3 simple steps:
1. Tell yourself that you want to have dream that will show you what’s holding you back. Set an intention every evening to remember your dreams in the morning until you do. Make sure to record them immediately. See what unconscious blockages spring to mind when looking over the dream. I suggest you go with your first impression.
2. Find a quiet place in your home where you can focus on your dream. Close your eyes for 5 to 15 minutes and ask your intuition to give you a solution as to how to overcome the blockage revealed in your dream.
3. While in this meditative state take out your journal and answer this question: If I could do anything, or be anything without worrying about money what would it be? Begin writing and don’t sensor yourself. The biggest obstacle to jump-starting intuition is not listening to our own truth. When you stifle who you are you shut down your intuition.
Do you know anyone like this? Have you dealt with this type of personality? What did you do?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Trust Your Gut – How Your Intuition Can Lead You to Success (healthmoneysuccess.com)
- Sebastian Siegel: Consciousness & Intuition (huffingtonpost.com)
- Dr. Susan Corso: To Sleep … Perchance To Dream (huffingtonpost.com)
Do you think you might be intuitive?
If you’re curious about the range of your intuitive abilities take this simple intuition quiz:
Ask yourself the questions in the intuition quiz below. Keep track of each time you respond to a question with a “yes.” When you’re finished answering all of the questions, total your “yes” answers. Totals and their corresponding meanings are listed below.
1. Upon entering a room or area for the first time, do you ever immediately know whether it is “safe” or “threatening?”
2. When meeting someone for the first time, do you ever know whether or not that person can be trusted?
3. Do you often accurately sense when the phone is about to ring? Or do you ever know who is calling when the phone starts ringing?
4. Can you sense a person’s thoughts and finish their sentences for them or verbalize them before they do?
5. Can you sense a person’s presence when it enters a room or area without physically seeing or hearing them?
6. Have you ever been lost and used your intuition to accurately find your way?
7. Do you ever wake from sleep with a sense that something has been revealed to you or that someone has been communicating with you?
8. Have you ever had prior knowledge of a disaster, negative event, illness, or death that later came to pass?
9. When you close your eyes, to you often see images of people, or eyes, or do you ever hear voices speaking?
10. In the moments just after waking, do you ever hear voices speaking?
11. Do you often get “goose bumps,” or do the hairs on the back of your neck rise, putting you on alert?
12. Have you ever made a major decision against the advice of your loved ones or “the experts” just because of a sense of what was the “right” thing for you?
13. Do you notice an unusual number of “coincidences” happening around you?
14. Do you notice repeating number combinations, colors, and/or symbols?
15. Can you sense when someone is lying to you?
16. Have you ever suddenly “seen” or “just knew“ where a lost item was located?
A Score of 1 – 4
If your score was between one and three, you have limited awareness of your intuitive abilities. You would benefit from learning to trust yourself and opening more to your instincts.
A Score of 5 – 9
Your intuition is active and you’re probably aware of it, but there is room for improvement. This can be developed and strengthened.
A Score of 10 – 13
You’re very much in touch with your intuition and, most likely, you’re used to relying upon it as you navigate your life. You may want to consider psychic development classes to further develop your abilities and fine tune your intuition.
A Score of 14 or More
You’re gifted and keenly aware of your intuitive abilities. You’re an excellent judge of character and you trust your instincts, relying upon them regularly. Others most likely sense this about you and may often come to you for your advice or seek out your opinion when making major decisions. You may want to consider further psychic development testing to determine your precise gifts and how to best use them. You may also be well suited for a career as a counselor or advisor?
How did you do? Were you surprised to find out your intuition was more developed than you thought? Share you’re results with us.
Thanks to Psychic Waves for sharing this quiz with Mystic Musings.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Natasha Dern: Intuition & Divine Guidance (huffingtonpost.com)
Has the warmth from a sunbeam ever triggered a moment of pure bliss?
Has there ever been a split second where your mind was so still that you became aware of having stepped outside yourself?
Did you come across a deer on a trail and suddenly feel flooded with a love and connection to all of life?
Were you playing with your child one day when your heart just opened up?
These sacred moments are the essence of the mystical experience.
Everything stops, and it’s as if we see clearly for the first time and feel at one with all of life. The joy from this state of being emanates from deep within our souls. We are aware of a palpable pure goodness that is in and through everything and everyone.
But we don’t “think it” we feel this experience intuitively with our hearts.
Getting an intuitive message only takes a split second, but missing one and dealing with the mess of an unheeded warning can take much longer to fix. Read my previous post to see just how disastrous it can be to ignore your intuition.
Intuition uses an encrypted code to communicate
To de-cypher the messages you need the keys that unlock this secret language. Once you have the code down – you will be amazed by the number of intuitive messages you receive on a daily basis.
The other morning the first image that sprang to mind was not from a dream, but a memory of a segment on the evening news from a week ago. A woman whose electricity went out due to a heavy snow storm was interviewed and stated that her family was lucky because they had a wood-burning stove in the house, so they weren’t freezing like her neighbors were. My first thought was, I’m lucky too at least if my heat went out I could use my fireplace.
When I got downstairs I turned the thermostat up and then dove into my morning routine. An hour later I realized the heat hadn’t come on. After checking to see if the pilot was lit – it was – I concluded I’d have to call the gas company. Luckily, the technician came by early afternoon and the repair was a simple one – a faulty wire. I was very grateful.
Intuition may speak through a picture or image
I started thinking about the image of the woman whose electricity was out and realized it had been my intuition preparing me for having no heat. The thought I had afterward comparing my fireplace to her having a wood burning stove had foretold that all would be well. It got me thinking about the many ways our intuition communicates with us.
I realized that intuition has its own language. To crack the intuition code you need to be aware of all the ways intuition transmits information. Here are some of the way my intuition communicates with me.
Five ways intuition speaks to us
1. Physical. You get a gut feeling. The feeling in your gut can be fearful, nervous, anxious, cautious, hesitant, or just a feeling that something is about to happen – yet you don’t know what. When IT happens – the feeling subsides. I’ve also experienced it as a feeling of nausea and bouts of yawning too.
2. Cerebral. It feels as though a thought has touched down out of no where into your mind. It can also be experienced as a nagging thought that won’t go away. And, sometimes it’s when you know that you know something, but you can’t explain how or why you know it. It can also come as a flash of insight, or can take the form of an image or symbol in the mind’s eye.
3. Empathic. Picking up on the emotions of others and feeling that emotion yourself. It can also be feeling the pain others experience in your own body. It can also come in the form of taking an immediate liking to a person, or a dislike for that matter. It’s an instinct you have about someone.
4. Signs and affirmations. Things like missing the train to work only to find out later that there was a huge problem with the railways and all the trains stopped running for hours. Or considering a job change with a company you’re nervous about and then seeing an article on the front page of the paper, or hearing a report about them on the radio stating that this company is rated on of the top ten to work for.
5. Hearing The Voice. This may occur less frequently but it does happen. You’ve been trying to solve a problem and thinking about it over and over. Suddenly, you hear a voice that seems loud enough to have been heard by others, but judging from their faces no one heard it but you. It came from within you mind but it wasn’t in your own voice and it had the exact answer you’d been searching for. “Go for that job!,” etc.
Start paying attention and looking for these encoded message – because believe me you are getting them! You’re just not aware until you focus and tune in.
These are the most common ways my intuition speaks to me. It isn’t a definitive list by any means. If you have experienced something different don’t discount it. Intuition works uniquely for each of us. I’d be very interested to hear of other ways intuition communicates to us, so please do share.